Wednesday, August 6, 2008

On Second Thought ...

Caffeine is a beautiful thing. Of course, it takes longer to do its magic on days when I have a slight flu bug and am waffling between being sick and being fine. (Strangely, I feel sick when I’m sitting up to do copy editing, but just fine when I’m lying down reading.)

Still, in the clearer light of a coffee-fueled day, I noticed that my previous post failed to recognize that a number of important names are missing from or underplayed on the NY Times’s grammar page:

Steven Pinker -- As far as I can tell, the first guy to identify the creature called the Grammar Puss.

The guys over at LanguageLog, including Geoffrey Pullum, Mark Liberman and Benjamin Zimmer.

From what I can tell, Zimmer is the guy who figured out that the Churchill quotation probably isn’t Churchill’s. Pullum and Liberman, as far as I can tell, have been pointing out the absurdity of extreme grammar grousing far longer than I have (and far more convincingly).

These guys are serious scholars and real pioneering thinkers in the grammar game. I guess that if Zimmer and Liberman aren’t in there, and Pullum and Pinker only get one buried reference each, I was being a little childish in my previous (groggy and sneezing/sniffling) post.

Now if only I could get over that April business …

Bookmark and Share



2 comments:

Tarah Sweeney said...

I love your blog. It's one of the few grammar-related blogs I read.

June Casagrande said...

Thank you for saying so. I struggle with it. Sometimes I worry I go too far off topic. Other times I worry I'm being too boring by staying on topic.

Then I try to remember that the whole point of blogging is to be oneself and hope others can relate. So thank you!

Share

Bookmark and Share