Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Shameless Plug for a Friend: 'The Art of the Video Game'




Perhaps it started with Andy Warhol: the idea that the popular and even the lowbrow can, in time, rise to the cultural status of art. Either way, it makes my friend Josh’s new book all the more interesting.

The Art of the Video Game by Josh Jenisch is the first serious look at the artistic merits and cultural value of the stuff heretofore referred to only as “awesome graphics, dude.”

From Pong to Call of Duty, Josh's book examines the evolution of video game visuals to prove conclusively that this stuff is art.

The book’s written for 18- to 35-year-olds who grew up gaming, but it seems to me it’s a great gift idea for parents who want their game-obsessed kids to have more scholarly mindset toward their brain-numbing hobby.

And since, as I write this, Josh is sitting next to me at my freelance job, I’ll ask him for a Conjugate Visits exclusive quotation about the book:

“It got three out of four Hooties in Hooters Magazine!”

Need we say more?


Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Share

Bookmark and Share