Thursday, July 29, 2010

My Computer's (Lack of a) Way with Words

At my freelance job, I used to be able to double-click the time on the task bar to call up a monthly calendar. Once launched, that calendar let me change the computer's date and time. But I never did. I just used it as a plain-old calendar.

A few months ago, my work computer got a security upgrade. Now when I double-click the time, the computer tells me, "You do not have the proper privilege to change the System Time."

You've won this round, rude, belittling, inarticulate computer ...


Bookmark and Share

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That so makes me LOL. Agreed, though, about the side-effects of technology's exponential growth. Some of them are just plain funny.

June Casagrande said...

Right? I don't have "the proper privilege"? Where does thing dang machine get the nerve?

Mallory said...

my work computer is set up the same way, it's so annoying. I had to get an old-timey wall calendar for my desk. For some reason, checking the calendar in my Outlook just never caught on with me.

June Casagrande said...

Well, yeah. Outlook is for e-mail (in my mind, at least). I don't want to close my e-mail program to see whether the 17th is a Tuesday.

Share

Bookmark and Share