Friday, January 2, 2009

Pasadena Dreamin'

In "Mortal Syntax," I wrote a little ditty about what it's like on January 1 to live within walking distance of Colorado Boulevard. Specifically, I wrote about what Colorado is like after the floats have gone by and the crowds have dispersed.

So this year I thought I'd document it visually. Here's Colorado Boulevard at about 3:30 p.m. January 1:



Twenty-four hours later: Spotless. Five and a half miles of Colorado cleaned up by elves (whose salary I help pay) magically and overnight. I'm so damn impressed at how welll they clean it up, that I don't even get mad at the mess.


Here's the "after" photo:





Bookmark and Share

4 comments:

LL Blackwell said...

I agree it is truly disgusting and truly amazing. I love our city.

However, the best part of Pasadena living at the beginning of the year was watching the floats drive down Orange Grove in the dark last night, on their way to that big parade route in the sky....

June Casagrande said...

I didn't see the floats in the dark! I bet that was totally cool. (In daylight, they're not worth fighting the crowds for. But in the dark, that would be somethin' to see.)

Joel said...

People who clean things--especially those who clean well--are underpaid.

June Casagrande said...

Man-oh-man, you don't want to get me started on that. If I had a nickel for every time I've argued that toilet-scrubbers' pay should be closer to lazy, blowhard executives' pay -- well, let's just say I'd have some nickels. (On the other hand, if I had a nickel for every time I've WON one of those arguments, that would paint a pretty different picture -- one with very few nickels in it.

Share

Bookmark and Share